BAY CONSERVATION CADETS – Tauira Mahi
The Bay Conservation Cadets – Tauira Mahi programme (BCC) is an employment, training and development programme which seeks to upskill unemployed, under-employed or those changing career pathways, whilst also delivering environmental and conservation benefits. Cadets receive an employment contract and training in multiple areas to enable a career path into the environmental sector and the many positions that Jobs for Nature and other programmes are providing. BCC has a large experiential learning component where cadets will undertake work at a variety of sites, including those run by BCA members, private landowners and other partners. This provides meaningful work experience with real environmental and conservation outcomes.
NATURE EDUCATION PROGRAMME
Looking at nature education for your school? Book into our nature education programme!
What can schools expect?
Our programme provides fully facilitated hands-on experiential conservation education. Students will discover how incredibly unique New Zealand is, gain an insight into many of the conservation challenges in New Zealand, and learn a set of practical conservation skills. Activities and learnings include bird banding and ID, reptile and insect monitoring, rongoa, biosecurity challenges including issues like kauri dieback, and of course the huge challenge of pest management.
We are currently operating at three sites during Term 1 and Term 4 – Aongatete Forest Project and Oteora in the Kaimai Mamaku Conservation Park, and Otanewainuku Forest between Te Puke and Oropi.
If you are keen to find out more about this programme please contact our Education and Engagement Manager Janie Stevenson –
If you would like to contribute a koha to our education programme and would like to support our conservation work, please click on the button below.
Useful links to great nature and environmental education resources:
- DOC – Conservation education resources.
- Bay of Plenty Regional Council teacher resources
- Ministry for the Environment – Environmental education resources for teachers.
- WWF – Resources for Teachers.
- Wild Eyes – Nature Missions for Kiwi Kids!
- Learn more about Mautauranga Maori and Science
- Get to know native bird songs and calls
- Young Ocean Explorers
- Teacher Vision – A range of teaching resources including lots on wildlife.
- Project Jonah World of Whales Kit – Educational resource kit to help teach kids about whales and their environment.